Volunteer fundraising is critical to the implementation of Global Brigades’ Holistic Model through Brigade programming. Once a volunteer meets a set Donation Goal for their interested program and country, they are eligible to join us on-the-ground to see their fundraising efforts put into action by participating in a Brigade. Volunteers have up to 1 year to participate in a Brigade after they meet their Donation Goal. If a volunteer decides not to participate in a Brigade, the funds raised will be utilized to support Global Brigades’ mission. Find out more about fundraising below.
Start fundraising for your brigade as a group or individually as early as possible to give yourself plenty of time! Check out this Chapter Fundraising Guide for more tips, tricks & fundraising strategies.
Featured Fundraiser: Café Holístico
Café Holístico, Global Brigades’ own coffee sales initiative, offers volunteers a way to increase the well-being of rural families while also generating significant funds for a brigade. Because we buy directly, we can provide farmers 2-3 times more income per pound than they would otherwise receive. Visit holistico.org to get started today and get connected to a coffee representative.
Meet Your Fundraising Deadlines
In order for Global Brigades to prepare for upcoming Brigades, all volunteers who wish to participate in a Brigade must meet the following Donation Goal fundraising deadlines. If a volunteer is unable to meet their Brigade’s fundraising deadlines, they can instead join a future brigade to give themselves more time to meet their Donation Goal.
|DEADLINE||IN PERSON BRIGADE||TELEBRIGADE|
|INITIAL DONATION GOAL DEADLINE||97 days pre-brigade||Volunteers must have $150 on their fundraising page to secure their spot in their Brigade||Volunteers must be signed up and have $150 on their fundraising page to secure their spot in their TeleBrigade.|
|TRAVEL DONATION GOAL DEADLINE||60 days pre-brigade||Volunteers must meet their airfare fundraising goal per the deadlines from the airlines (if booking flight through Global Brigades), in addition to the initial $150 raised.||No additional fundraising needed, but all volunteers should have completed their volunteer roster questionnaire. Your chapter’s Individual Donation Goal will be set!|
|FINAL DONATION GOAL DEADLINE||14 days pre-brigade||Volunteers must have the total donation goal (donation goal + airfare) on their MyBrigades fundraising page||Volunteers will meet their Full Donation Goal to complete fundraising for their TeleBrigade|
Earn A Brigade Scholarship!
There are several opportunities for you and your chapter to receive scholarships to go towards your Donation Goals! Chapter Leaders, Healthcare Professionals, and University faculty play an important role in empowering volunteers and growing the Global Brigades movement. In order to show our support and incentivize brigade participation, scholarships are available for meeting specific eligibility criteria.
• New Chapter Referral Scholarship: Awarded to an individual who refer’s a friend or colleague to start a new Chapter (using this form). If this new Chapter successfully holds an Introduction and Development Call and sets TeleBrigade or In-Person Brigade dates with the VEA, the referrer (i.e., the person that referred the new leader) will be awarded a $500 scholarship to allocate towards either a TeleBrigade or an In-Person Brigade of their choice.
• Founder Scholarship: When a new chapter is created at a university, the “Founder” who plans the 1st brigade or TeleBrigade for this chapter may be eligible to receive a scholarship in the amount of their group’s *Donation Goal.
• Brigade /TeleBrigade Leader Scholarship: A leader who plans their Chapter’s TeleBrigade/Brigade may be eligible to receive a scholarship to go towards their *Donation Goal based on the recruitment level for their program (meeting all deadlines, meeting recruitment requirements, etc).
• Campus Chairperson Scholarship: Recognized Campus Chairpersons (CCs) may be eligible to receive a scholarship to cover their *Donation Goal for up to one brigade per school year.
• HCP Scholarships: A Medical or Dental Chapter who recruits specific types of Healthcare Professionals (HCPs) to participate in their brigade may be eligible to receive a scholarship per HCP.
• Faculty Scholarships: Any Chapter who recruits a faculty member to participate in their brigade may be eligible to receive a scholarship per faculty.
• TeleBrigades Chapter Scholarship: A Chapter that decides to run a TeleBrigade receives a $100 (USD/CAD) scholarship per participant awarded to the chapter to be put towards a future in-person brigade or TeleBrigade, at the discretion of the Chapter’s leadership.
• TeleBrigades Participant Scholarship: Participants of a TeleBrigade before taking place December 2021 and who got certificate of completion are eligible for a $100 scholarship towards their Donation Goal for a future In-Person Brigade.
For more detailed information about these scholarship opportunities please review our Brigade and TeleBrigade Scholarships Guide and reach out to your Program Associate with any questions.
Global Brigades accepts a limited amount of material donations as long as the guidelines below are followed. Solicited and unsolicited donations must be confirmed with the appropriate Program Associate and be inspected for the required quality and useful life compliance before acceptance. If you have a specific item(s) that you would like to donate, please contact your Program Associate to find out if your donations can be accepted.
- The donor must be informed that the recipient of the donation is Global Brigades, Inc. on behalf of your Chapter (i.e. Medical Brigades at Pennsylvania State University).
- Once Global Brigades accepts the donation, the donation will not be returned to the donor without the donor’s consent.
- Global Brigades cannot accept any items for resale or store donations.
TAX RECEIPTS FOR IN-KIND DONATIONS
Brigades that would like to have tax donation receipts provided to donors for making in-kind donations must first receive prior approval from Global Brigades, Inc. by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Global Brigades will only provide in-kind donation receipts for large equipment items donated directly to Global Brigades, Inc., such as dental units, wheelchairs, etc. valued over $250. In order to receive recognition for the donation and a tax receipt, the Chapter Leader must submit the following information to their Program Associate:
|•||Name and address of the donor, specific office or title (if applicable)|
|•||List/description of the donation, fair market value and date of the donation|
|•||Declaration that the donated items were needed/used for the brigade and that all donated items were in the required condition|
|•||Purchase receipt for donated item|
OTHER MATERIAL DONATIONS
As we strive to be as sustainable as possible, we cannot support handing out in-kind donations (old clothing, school supplies, toiletries, etc.) Handing out small amounts of such items results in unfair distribution of donations and can cause challenges within our community partners. To make the most of items such as used clothing, we suggest looking into organizations like thredUp. ThredUP takes like-new clothing and gives money to the donor’s charity of choice.
Chapter Bank Accounts
Should your Chapter decide to open a bank account, the social security number of one of the leaders must be used. The name on the account should also clearly indicate the Chapter name (i.e. Global Medical Brigades at Penn State). It is recommended that your Chapter try and open the account with the Office of Student Affairs at your university. If you wish to set up a bank account for your Chapter of Global Brigades in order to collect funds, purchase medicine, material donations, and other club-related expenses, please note the following:
- The bank account should be set up through the university or outside the university with an individual’s social security number. (NOT THE GLOBAL BRIGADES TAX ID NUMBER)
- Collect all cash donations in the account
- Tax receipts cannot be issued