Global Brigades Health and Development (GBHD) is an international health and economic development organisation, a registered charity in Canada, and one of 9+ Global Brigades partner entities around the world. It uniquely implements a holistic model of development to meet its partner’s communities’ goals. The model systematically builds community ownership and collaboratively executes its programs with the goal of sustainably transitioning to a relationship of impact monitoring. It has operations abroad, and its local partners work with community leaders and its volunteers to implement programs that create sustainable health systems, establish community-owned banking, create potable water systems, build home sanitation infrastructure, and support economic development through community-owned microenterprises.
We are looking for an experienced Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to supervise and direct all strategic, administrative, and operational aspects of Global Brigades Health and Development (GBHD), acting as the management leader of the Canadian arm of this non-profit organisation.
The CEO (with the guidance of US counterparts and the Canadian Board of Directors), is the first in command of the non-profit organisation in Canada and is responsible for directing a strategy and vision for success. The CEO leads partnership development activities, including interaction with existing and new partners, volunteer leaders, and donors. This individual will provide scheduled updates to the Board of Directors and oversee all grant competition processes where applicable.
To thrive as a CEO you must be a self-starting, prudent manager and an inspiring leader. The ideal candidate will have a business mindset and will be able to see the “big picture” in a variety of settings. They will take actions to enhance the organisation’s cash flow while keeping the human factor in perspective. In addition, this individual will have a strong belief in and passion for the mission and vision of GBHD.
The CEO reports directly to, and operates under the policies and at the discretion of, the Board of Directors of GBHD.
Primary Goals (include but not limited to):
1) Governance: Work with the Board in order to fulfil the mission of the organisation.
- Responsible for leading GBHD in a manner that supports and guides the organisation’s mission as defined by GBHD’s Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Arrange logistics of in-person Board and Committee meetings as needed, including but not limited to travel, venue, meals, and day-of issues.
- Support the Board of Directors in executing new board member onboarding
- Responsible for planning and operation of the annual budget.
- Support Board of Directors in their decision process surrounding corporate policy.
- Perform any and all duties required collectively or individually by Canadian law, Ontario law, the articles of incorporation, or the bylaws of GBHD.
- Represent and advocate for the Canadian volunteer base with local and international partners.
- Communicate regularly with the Board of Directors to ensure accountability and transparency.
- Keep up to date on the general direction of the organisation and other Global Brigades partner entities, as well as communicate this to the Board of Directors of GBHD.
- Attend all legal matters of GBHD as directed by the Board of Directors.
2) Organisation Mission and Strategy: Work with the Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of programs that carry out the GBHD mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that GBHD can successfully fulfil its mission into the future.
- Serve as GBHD’s primary spokesperson to the organisation’s members and partner entities.
- Maintain presence and communication with members of the organisation to retain and increase our impact with partner entities and ensure an educated, socially-responsible volunteer base.
- At the discretion of the Board of GBHD, attend international advisory board meetings and act as the voting member and representative for GBHD.
- Seek new funding sources and opportunities with the goal of developing a long-term, self-sustainability strategy
3) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organisation.
- Collaborate with the treasurer on the development of all financial policies and practices necessary for the responsible control of the funds of GBHD and to comply with all applicable Bylaws, policies, and legal legislations.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of GBHD, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and semi-annual financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organisation.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilisation, and maintenance of the organisation in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for developing other resources necessary to support GBHD’s mission.
- Maintain records for the annual audit process.
4) Organisation Operations
- Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organisation are appropriate.
- Responsible for effective administration of GBHD operations.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organisation.
- Responsible for filing and routing materials, correspondence and incoming mail.
- Act as the liaison for the insurance needs of the organisation.
- Coordinate activities with professional advisors, e.g. auditors, legal counsel.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Establish administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for day-to-day operation.
- Proven experience as a senior manager/executive position, Executive Director, or CEO
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance management principles
- Familiarity with diverse business functions such as marketing, public relations, finance, and human resources
- In-depth knowledge of corporate governance and general management best practices including charity governance and applicable tax laws in Canada
- An entrepreneurial mindset with outstanding organisational and leadership skills
- Analytical abilities and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills
How to Apply:
Please submit your CV and a 1-2 minute video cover letter summarising relevant experiences and motivation to join GBHD to firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. No further applications will be considered once a successful candidate is selected.
Should you have any questions, please contact Mario Jones at email@example.com