Global Brigades is the largest student-led global health and sustainable development organization. Every year, more than 500 university chapters around the world mobilize nearly 10,000 volunteers abroad to participate in health, water, sanitation and economic projects that empower rural under resourced communities Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama and Ghana.
With the International Program Internship, Global Brigades is seeking past chapter leaders to participate in a structured 11 month program that both provides the opportunity to support university chapters growth, their volunteer base, and our in-country teams implement health and development programming.
While in-country, interns will split their time working out of the Global Brigades country office on administrative tasks, support brigade operations, and gain field experience working with local program staff between brigades. Interns will live with experienced Global Brigades staff members who are opening their homes to create a culturally enriching and safe living environment.
Note: This is subject to modifications as needed throughout the course of the program
- July: Attend Leadership Institute in respective country (Optional)
- August: Training in Milwaukee and attending Campus Chairperson Leadership Conference
- August – October: Campus visits in the region in which interns live.
- Mid October: Program preparation training in-Country
- Mid October – Mid December: Helping Program Associates prepare January Brigades and field work
- Mid December – Late January: Attending at least 3 Brigades
- Late January: One week time off in-Country
- February – April: Helping Program Associates prepare Brigades and field work
- May: Attending at least 2 Brigades and support Program Associates with administrative tasks while not on
- End of May: Special appreciation in-country and internship culmination
- Interest in learning about sustainable development work in Central America
- Bachelor’s Degree with minimum 3.0 GPA
- Existing understanding of Global Brigades’ chapter operations
- Strong passion and ability to communicate Global Brigades’ holistic model
- Spanish language skills preferred, but not required.
- Travel stipend from August – October: Up to $1,000 a month for expense reimbursements for food, lodging and travel to chapters for campus visits
- In-Country Benefits from October – May 31, 2019: All food and lodging while in-country is provided by Global Brigades through home-stays and during brigades. Intern will receive an additional food reimbursement of up to USD $150.00 per month for food and transportation expenses incurred while living in Honduras.
- International emergency travel insurance provided while in country
- One round trip ticket home for up to two weeks reimbursed between November 20 and December 31 (dates approved by Manager)
- Reimbursements provided for Spanish lessons
- Flights to and from country sites at beginning and end of agreement
- Flights for Global Brigades sponsored events (including Leadership Institutes and chairperson conference)
Please direct any questions about this opportunity to Daniel Klingelhoets, People Operations Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Applications for the 2018-2019 International Program Internship will be available February 1 and due Friday, February 23. Please check back at that time.